Survival is your only goal, and death your only end. Make your own survival story with every game.
The Long Dark is an adventure simulation video game made by Hinterland Studio Inc. It is a thoughtful, exploration-survival experience that challenges solo players to think for themselves as they explore an expansive frozen wilderness in the aftermath of a geomagnetic disaster. The player assumes the role of a crash-landed bush pilot who must survive the frigid Canadian wilderness after a global disaster. The wind rages outside the thin walls of your wooden cabin. A wolf howls in the distance. You look at the meagre supplies in your pack, and wish for the days before the power mysteriously went out. How much longer will you survive? The episodic story-mode for The Long Dark, WINTERMUTE launches with two of the five episodes that form its Season One. Survival Mode is the free-form, non-narrative survival sandbox that has been honed over nearly three years on Early Access.
Release Date: 1 Aug, 2017
Developer: Hinterland Studio Inc.
Publisher: Hinterland Studio Inc.
Genre: Adventure, Indie, Simulation, Strategy
The Long Dark
OS: Win 7
CPU: Dual-Core Intel i5 CPU @ 2GHz+
RAM: 4 GB
GRAPHIC: Intel 4xxx Series w/ 512MB VRAM or better
HDD: 1 GB
OS: Win 7 64
CPU: Intel i7 CPU @ 2.6GHz or higher
RAM: 8 GB
GRAPHIC: nVidia GTX 555 w/ 1GB VRAM or better
HDD: 1 GB
- Hunt or Be Hunted: Wildlife to hunt and be hunted by: Wolves, Bears, Rabbits, Deer, Crows, and more to come in future updates.
- Survival of the Fittest: Hunt, fish, trap, climb, map, search for life-saving food and gear items, and try to avoid dying from the hostile wildlife, succumbing to hypothermia, frostbite, or dysentery (amongst other uncomfortable afflictions), find and maintain your life-saving gear.
- Scour the World for Supplies: Over 100 gear items including Tools, Light Sources, Weapons, First Aid supplies, Clothing, and more.
- No hand holding! The game challenges players to think for themselves by providing the information but never the answers. You have to earn the right to survive.
- A Vast Living World: Explore a 50 square kilometre Northern Canadian wilderness in search of precious supplies. In Winter. Dynamic time of day, weather, wildlife presence, etc. provide just enough randomness to keep things challenging.
- Permadeath! When you die in Survival Mode, your save is deleted. Every decision matters. [Note that WINTERMUTE does not feature permadeath.]
- Condition and Calories: Monitor your Hunger, Thirst, Fatigue, and Cold as you struggle to balance resources with the energy needed to obtain them. Every action costs Calories, and time is your most precious resource. Choose your path carefully.
- Choose Your Experience: Four distinct Experience Modes let you find a challenge level you are comfortable with, such as Pilgrim Mode, which is meant to be quiet and pensive, all the way to Interloper Mode, where only the most experienced survivors have a chance to last a week.
The Long Dark Trailer
The Long Dark Review
Deep, brutal, and hauntingly atmospheric, The Long Dark is a survival game done right. With over 350 hours of gameplay thus far, I can honestly say this game is awesome and the story mode was great too. Very tranquil and yet nerve wracking with wolves at your heel. The long-in-the-making story mode was worth the wait. And with an eventual total of five episodes each looking to last between seven and ten hours, it looks like it may well prove a truly epic survival experience. For the impatient, single-player gamer, The Long Dark holds little promise. However, if you relish the challenge of isolation and the feeling that you’re fighting against an environment that isn’t trying to kill you, but rather just doesn’t care about you, then you must try The Long Dark.