Turn-based roguelike role-playing game inspired by the Night’s Watch in the Game of Thrones.
The Storm Guard is a turn-based tactical game in a fantasy setting. Wildings, undead and even greater horrors from the north have crossed the borders and are now invading the realm of men causing death and destruction. You assume the role of the Lord Commander and have to manage this conflict.
The Storm Guard is a military order founded more than a millennium ago after the last visit of the dragon. It is dedicated to protecting the realm of men in case the dragon shall ever return. Unfortunately, after long times of peace, the Storm Guard is a shadow of what it once was.
The Storm Guard is a skill-based game and it is all about making tough decisions. Will you buy better gear for your warrior? Can we afford another team member? Or shall we develop our characters’ skills (and if so, which)? What party composition do we head for? What threats shall (and can) we address with the troops at hand?
On the strategy layer, you must try to maintain a steady economy, keep panic in your lands low and manage the Order’s roster of heroes and soldiers, recruit additional members, learn new skills and get better equipment. You must decide what incidents to deal with and which ones to ignore as well as how to best use the limited resources to improve the current situation.
Combat includes standard mechanics like melee and ranged attacks, spells and attack skills, but also conditions (bleeding, poisoned, blind, crippled, weakened, burning), disablers (knockdown) as well as a wide range of enchantments, buffs, hexes and shouts that offer a lot of choices on both the strategic layer and the tactical layer.
Death is permanent in The Storm Guard. You must learn to deal with losses and take actions to mitigate risk. A wise commander knows what a particular team can accomplish and (even more importantly) what is beyond its abilities. Don’t throw away the lives of your best troops for nothing. Conversely, there are times where you must sacrifice soldiers for the greater goal.
The Storm Guard is deliberately designed to be a difficult game. Bad things happen. Men will die. And when they die, they stay dead. You may run into tight financial situations and your A-Team may get wiped. There are many ways to fail on both, the strategy and the tactical combat layer. However, we tried our utmost to keep the game fair at all times. While you can have a streak of bad luck, it will never be the decisive factor for winning or losing the game.
Relase date: 25 August 2016
Developer: Bitmen Studios
Publisher: Bitmen Studios
Genre: Adventure, Indie, RPG
The Storm Guard: Darkness is Coming
OS: Win 7 64
OS: Win 10 64
- Challenging encounters against close to 40 different creature types each with their own abilities. Ever since the Ancient Dragon returned, Orks, Giants, Undead and Mystic Creatures roam the realm of men causing death and destruction.
- Rich turn-based combat with a wide range of interesting mechanics, including numerous conditions (bleeding, burning, weakened, blind, crippled, …), knockdowns, shouts, buffs, enchantments, and hexes.
- Classic RPG/roguelike features like permadeath, procedural dungeons, and random events result in high replayability.
- Numerous playable hero classes to pick from to add to your team with dozens of unique abilities to specialize in.
- Interesting combat mechanics that allow flanking, tying up, disengaging, and smart combinations of skills.
- Defeat intelligent monsters that collaborate, heal and buff their allies and have their own strategy on how to put your heroes to the grave.
- Rest in town to recover from injuries that reduce your constitution or gain morale boosts by exceptional performance in battle.
- Use your gold wisely on the strategy layer to invest into skill development, equipment, consumables or additional heroes.
The Storm Guard: Darkness is Coming Trailer
The Storm Guard: Darkness is Coming Reviews:
Great throwback turn-based-combat game! Hire new heroes and soldiers. Clever game ideas for the avid strategy fan. Outstanding AI for single player games to provide a challenge for you seasoned gamers. Great gameplay and replayability to keep you entertained for a long time. Everybody who can hold a sword, fire a bow or cast powerful spells is more than welcome. Turn based combat on a square tile set. You initially control a group of three heroes. This number will eventually increase to four and then five. The concept is simply but you really have to use strategy to win battles. You also have to be careful to choose the right missions or you will lose characters you have been working hard to level up. I thoroughly recommend Storm Guard: Darkness is Coming to anyone even slightly curious about it. It is enjoyable, entertaining, and if you don't play it on that wimpy "easy" setting, its a nice challenge for an RP experience.